Welcome to my personal Web Site!
My name is Ivan Bedini and in this web page you will find some information about contributions that I have done in the past few years on normalization and research.
I am currently working at Trento RISE, one of the European Innovation Pole.
My current duty is focused on bringing innovation from the research world, strictly speaking the research done at the department of
Information Engineering and Computer Science University of Trento and the research center FBK.
The focus is on BigData, yeah I know, yet another buzz world that carry on plenty of technologies and many other things. Nevertheless is a domain absolutely interesting a with many "new" challenges.
It mixes many well known and founded works around parallel and distributed computing, data mining and analytics in general with a lot of new challenges. Again it is very interesting and exciting working in this domain.
Another activity I'm currently starting as champion is CoderDojo Trento
An initiative born in Ireland in 2011 with the scope of creating clubs for teaching coding to kids and teenagers.
Before coming back to Italy I have been worked as researcher, precisely Member of Technical Staff at Bell Labs Ireland since July 2010.
Previously I have been worked for 10 years at Orange
Labs in France, where I have held various research, standardization and technical project management roles.
Since 2000 I’ve contributed to several projects, initially as Workflow and BPM (Business Process Management) developer and consultant. In 2004 I started to deal with ebXML, a really reach framework of specifications for electronic business. I have been technical manager for the RepXML project, which is an interesting prototype implementing an ebXML Registry/Repository solution for storing and manage ebXML Core Components.
Thanks to this experience and acquired knowledge I’ve started to contribute to some standardization groups especially with CLEEP (ex EDIFRANCE),
OASIS ebXML RR technical committee and
UN/CEFACT ICG (Information Content Group).
I hold a PhD in Computer Science (Semantic Technologies applied to B2B Integration) from the University of Versailles, and I had the honour to have Georges Gardarin
as director and his assistant Benjamin Nguyen.
Here I’ve switched from the “pure” B2B domain to the new Semantic Web wave, but always with the idea to contribute (maybe one day not so far) to the development of flexible e-business interchanges and more specifically to
During the PhD I’ve developed a prototype, called Janus, which is an implementation of several Semantic Web and information retrieval related techniques for building ontologies from XML files as automatically as possible. Here you can find a demo (video format) and other useful information about it.
During 2012 I have started to investigate the adoption of distributed computing frameworks to enable the analysis of very large datasets. The system I am actually deeply studying is STORM, a free and open source distributed realtime computation system, that shows a high adaptable framework for dynamic reconfiguration. The aim of my research is to be able to freeing the developer from many tedious actions related to system optimization.
Here some public document where I'm either editor or contributor.
- Ivan Bedini, Benedikt Elser, Yannis Velegrakis. The Trento Big Data Platform for Public Administration and Large Companies: Use cases and Opportunities. VLDB 2013 Industry Vision Track
- Ivan Bedini, Sherif Sakr, Bart Theeten, Alessandra Sala, Peter Cogan: Modeling performance of a parallel streaming engine: bridging theory and costs. In Proc. of the ACM/International Conference on Performance Engeenering 2013: 173-184
- Bedini, I., Boran, A., Matheus, C. J., Bischof, S., Patel-Schneider, P. F. An Empirical Analysis of Semantic Techniques applied to a Network Management Classification Problem. In Proc. of Web Intelligence 2012.
- Laga, N., Bertin, E., Bedini, I., Crespi, N., Molina, B., and Zhao, Z. User-centric Service Selection through Virtual Services. World Wide Web Journal 2012 (Accepted)
- Ejub, K., Dorloff, F., and Bedini, I - Editors. Handbook of Research on E-Business Standards and Protocols: Documents, Data and Advanced Web Technologies. IGI Global, 2012. 0-901. Web. 16 Jan. 2012. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-0146-8
- Bedini, I., Nguyen, B., Matheus, C.J., Patel Schneider, P.F., and Boran, A. Mining XML Schemas to Extract Conceptual Knowledge. In Pazienza, M., & Stellato, A. (2012). Semi-Automatic Ontology Development: Processes and Resources (pp. 1-340). doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-0188-8.
- Ivan Bedini. Linked data for telecom networks. (Invited talk) Presentation at the Future Internet Assembly (FIA 2011), Budapest, May 2011.
- Ivan Bedini, Christopher J. Matheus, Aidan Boran, Peter F. Patel-Schneider and Christopher J. Matheus. Transforming XML Schema to OWL Using Patterns. In Proc. Of Fifth IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing (ICSC), Palo Alto, September 2011.
- Aidan Boran, Ivan Bedini, Christopher J. Matheus, Peter F. Patel-Schneider, and John Keeney. A smart campus prototype for demonstrating the semantic integration of heterogeneous data. In Proc. 5th International Conference on Web Reasoning and Rule Systems (RR2011), Galway, August 2011
- John Keeney, Aidan Boran, Ivan Bedini, Christopher J. Matheus, and Peter F. Patel-Schneider. Approaches to relating and integrating semantic data from heterogeneous sources. In Proc. 2011 IEEE / WIC / ACM International Conferences on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology (WI-IAT 2011), August 2011.
- Aidan Boran, Ivan Bedini, Christopher J. Matheus, Peter F. Patel-Schneider, and John Keeney. Choosing between axioms, rules and queries: Experiments in semantic integration techniques. In Proc. of the Eighth International Workshop on OWL: Experiences and Directions (OWLED 2011), June 2011.
- B�cot, S., Belaunde, M., Molina, B., M�rton, G., P�rez Mar�n, S., Hiribarren, V., Christophe, B., Due�as Rugnon, O., Bedini, I. and Le Rouzic, J.Empowering Telco Operator Convergence Through a Common Marketplace. In Proceedings ICIN 2010. Berlin, Germany. October, 2010.
- Adrien Laurence, J�r�me Le Moulec, Jacques Madelaine and Ivan Bedini. Experiments of Discovery Services Interconnection. 4th International Workshop on RFID Technology - Concepts, Applications, Challenges - IWRT 2010. June 2010, Madeira, Portugal
- Ivan Bedini. Deriving ontologies automatically from XML Schemas applied to the B2B domain. Doctoral dissertation, University of Versailles, France. January 15th 2010
- Ivan Bedini, Georges Gardarin, Benjamin Nguyen. Semantic Web and e-business. Chapter for the book � Electronic Business Interoperability: Concepts, Opportunities and Challenges �, IGI Global publisher. To appear. 2010.
- Mathieu Boussard, Vincent Hiribarren, Jean Pierre Le Rouzic, St�phanie Fodor, Ivan Bedini, Noel Crespi, Gabor Marton, David Moro, Manuel Macias, Oscar Lorenzo Due�as, Benjamin Molina. Servery: Web Telco Marketplace. Information and Communication Technologies � Mobile Summit 2009. 10 - 12 June 2009, Santander, Spain
- J�r�me Le Moulec, Jacques Madelaine and Ivan Bedini. Discovery Services Interconnection. International Workshop on RFID Technology. Mai 2009, Milan, Italy
2008 and before:
- Ivan Bedini, Georges Gardarin and Benjamin Nguyen. Yet Another Semantic Data Model But To Improve Ontology Matching. Submitted 16th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management Knowledge Patterns (EKAW 2008)
- Ivan Bedini, Benjamin Nguyen and Georges Gardarin. Janus: Automatic Ontology Construction Tool. Demo-Poster Session. 16th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management Knowledge Patterns. September 2008, Acitrezza, Italy.
- Ivan Bedini, Georges Gardarin and Benjamin Nguyen. Deriving Ontologies from XML Schema. In Proceedings 4�mes Journ�es francophones sur les Entrep�ts de Donn�es et l�Analyse en ligne (EDA 2008). 5 - 6, June 2008 Toulouse, France
- Ivan Bedini, Benjamin Nguyen and Georges Gardarin. B2B Automatic Taxonomy Construction. In Proceedings 10th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2008). 12 - 16, June 2008 Barcelona, Spain.
- Ivan Bedini, Benjamin Nguyen and Georges Gardarin. Janus: Automatic Ontology Builder from XSD files. Developer track at 17th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2008). Beijing, China, April 21 - 25, 2008
- Ivan Bedini and Benjamin Nguyen. Automatic Ontology Generation: State of the Art. University of Versailles Technical report. December 2007
- Ivan Bedini, Fabrice Bourge, Benjamin Nguyen. RepXML: Experimenting an ebXML Registry to Store Semantics and Content of Business Messages. Developer Track at BDA 2006. Lille, France. October 2006.